Art inspired by the Renaissance, Celtic knots, fantasy art, and storybooks. I create traditional paintings, digital art and photograph knights, fair maidens, fairies, bagpipers, flowers and a few meadows too.
Please note: the watermark in the lower right hand corner does not appear on actual prints.
Also note: this is a limited edition of 288 prints. I will be honoring the limited edition even with a digital signature. If you would like a certificate of authenticity (which has my hand-printed signature) with the number of the edition, I can send this to you free of charge. Just contact me. Pricing is a little higher to reflect the limited edition. Note: the limited edition only has to do with prints.
"A Pawn Escapes" is part of a series having to do with chess (and hierarchy). The pawn in this case is a pampered unicorn with an elaborate copper collar and a red mantle, and he most likely belongs to a King or Queen. He is escaping. "Pawn" also refers to being or feeling used.
Since the unicorn has just "fled the coop", we don't know the outcome. We only know that he has the desire to escape. What he escapes is a lush garden (plenty of food), but the promise of more flowers is outside the opening he is jumping through.
* unicorn: purity, innocence, the divine, enlightenment, magic. The unicorn has been known to be an independent creature of high intelligence and to be able to purify water and to get rid of the toxicities of life.
* millefleurs: abundance, growth, fertility, creativity, freedom from hunger, heightened respect for nature
* playing card symbols: rules, games, the elements (wind, fire, water, and earth), the seasons, the four motives, and the struggle with various forms of opposition for victory.
* escaping: feeling confined by a role (thus the need to flee), going into another form of life for a different perspective, cracking the egg, cutting Mommy's apron strings or Papa's control
* pawn: the ordinary, restriction of movement, restriction of hierarchy (unless it goes through a minefield, i.e. getting to the 8th square where it becomes a queen), being and feeling used by more powerful "players", someone else's puppet or tool or plaything
October 15th, 2016
Viewed 4,988 Times - Last Visitor from Houston, TX on 10/04/2023 at 11:47 AM